My brother and I were talking recently about a friend of ours who has been out of work for several months. We were reflecting on the fact that he is a really good salesman and “talker”, which in my professional experience can have both good and bad aspects. I’m confident our friend will find his next opportunity very soon.
The art of selling is something I’ve never been good at, but I do feel I can sell with the best of them anything I am passionate about and have experience with. Are you good at selling? Do you cringe when asked to make a convincing argument for or against something?
We all can take lessons on selling no matter how much experience we have. The following framework helps me to think through the important aspects of persuasion and has given me a few good tools for selling anything I am passionate about. If you want to read more about this framework check out the excellent article 7 steps to Master the Art of Persuasion at entrepreneur.com.
The art of getting others to see things as you see them is key to your success.
- Repeat the message numerous time and in creative ways
- Speak in terms understandable to the receiver
- Tell lots of stories that add color and meaning
- Know the receiver well enough to connect with their background
- Seek warm introductions from common friends or colleagues
- Make it visual
- Share how excited others are about it
Seek ways to incorporate these 7 keys into every aspect of your life. Persuasion is one of the most important keys to success in both business and life.